New forum feature

Questions, information and comments about the MIJC forum or website.
wdln
Web Admin
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: Dave Lennie
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/k-o/lennie-dave-carrie/

New forum feature

Post by wdln »

I know we've all had trouble with connecting forum usernames to real names to faces in the club. I think I've come up with something that will help us get to know each other a bit better. To the right of every post on the forum, there is an area that tells some information about the author of the post. Today I added two features: your real name and a link to your member page on the main MIJC site. This information appears in both new and pre-existing posts. You can see what mine looks like to the right... here's another:
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (21.22 KiB) Viewed 9665 times
In order to do this, I had to add some new fields to your forum profile, which I went ahead and filled out for most of the existing members that have forum accounts (not everyone does). I was working from an older list though, so newer members and guests may need to go fix your own information. You can do this by going to your profile, which is here:

ucp.php?i=profile&mode=profile_info

You're welcome to complete as much info as you wish, but at the bottom of your profile there are two things you need to set correctly: The MIJC member status (yes/no) and your Full Name. If you are a member, I will then go add the link to your member page. For non-members, it will simply say "MIJC Guest" instead of the link to the member page. New users from now on will be forced to fill in their full name upon registration. I would encourage existing non-members to please fill in your name so we know who you are.

In addition to the name and page link on the forum, I added your forum username to your member page on the main site. It's also hot-linked back to your profile on the forum. An example:
screenshot2.jpg
screenshot2.jpg (35.57 KiB) Viewed 9665 times
So now if you're looking at someone's member page you can click and find their posts on the forum, or if you're on the forum you can click to get to their member page. Hopefully this two-way connection helps people ID each other more readily.

As part of this process, I deleted all users who have not logged into the forum since before January 1, 2008. These were mostly "lurkers" who never posted anything, or people who registered for an account in order to use the For Sale forum then never came back. This pared down our user list by about 60 people. All of those folks are welcome to come back and re-register anytime.

Let me know if there are any questions. As always, if you find some information missing that I need to fix or you'd like to spruce up your member page with some photos, send it my way.
Image___Image___Image___Image
. . . . . . '83 CJ-7 . . . . . . . . . . . . '89 Grand Wagoneer . . . . . . . . '78 Postal DJ-5 . . . . . . . . '99 Grand Cherokee ZJ . .
W_A_Watson_II
Full Name: Will Watson
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/u-z/watson-william/

Re: New forum feature

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

THANKS!
Thanks,
Will
1993 Jeep Wrangler (Ok yes it's a YJ)
1953 Dodge M37 (No it's not a Jeep)
1946 & 1949 Dodge Power Wagons
DrDirt
Full Name: John Bruder

Post by DrDirt »

WDLN, please update my member page by deleting the following 2 entries or tell me again how I can do it:

???? CJ-5 – Mud Derby project
1986 Cherokee – POS street vehicle

Thanks, John
2018 Rubicon JL 2 dr, 1947 CJ2A Street Cruiser, 1983 CJ7 The Original Dr. Dirt, 1982 CJ8 Scrambler / Home - Rural Metamora, Ill [/color]/
wdln
Web Admin
Full Name: Dave Lennie
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/k-o/lennie-dave-carrie/

Post by wdln »

Done!

(I have to do it, BTW)
Image___Image___Image___Image
. . . . . . '83 CJ-7 . . . . . . . . . . . . '89 Grand Wagoneer . . . . . . . . '78 Postal DJ-5 . . . . . . . . '99 Grand Cherokee ZJ . .
vlucdog
Full Name: Bill Gangloff
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/e-j/bill-vicki-gangloff/

Post by vlucdog »

Hey it works, there's my name. Thanks Dave!
83- cj7, 80-cj5, 77 cj5 for parts