First unread post

Questions, information and comments about the MIJC forum or website.
Duke Winch
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: Steve Vohs
Member page: http://www.mijc.org/members/u-z/vohs-steve/

First unread post

Post by Duke Winch »

What happened to the first unread post button?
2000 TJ, D60s, 38" TSLs, 4:1 Transfer Case, 4 link rear, 3 link front, 9" stretch, hydro steering
Duke's Off Road...Where if you don't have an engineering problem, We'll design one for you!
Duke's Off Road Ranch - Closed for winter
wdln
Web Admin
Full Name: Dave Lennie
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/k-o/lennie-dave-carrie/

Re: First unread post

Post by wdln »

It's still there, over on the right:
Screen shot 2011-09-23 at 8.05.23 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-09-23 at 8.05.23 AM.png (87.35 KiB) Viewed 10713 times
Image___Image___Image___Image
. . . . . . '83 CJ-7 . . . . . . . . . . . . '89 Grand Wagoneer . . . . . . . . '78 Postal DJ-5 . . . . . . . . '99 Grand Cherokee ZJ . .
DrDirt
Full Name: John Bruder

Post by DrDirt »

Please clarify when the 'first unread post' message appears. I can't see it!
2018 Rubicon JL 2 dr, 1947 CJ2A Street Cruiser, 1983 CJ7 The Original Dr. Dirt, 1982 CJ8 Scrambler / Home - Rural Metamora, Ill [/color]/
wdln
Web Admin
Full Name: Dave Lennie
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/k-o/lennie-dave-carrie/

Post by wdln »

Ahhh, I see. It's only there the first time you visit a topic that has posts you haven't read. If you go back to that topic again it disappears because it assumes you read whatever was on the page. I just saw the first-unread link in the corner, then refreshed the page and it went away.

You would also need to be signed in before you start reading... perhaps that's what's happening? The software keeps track of what each user has and has not read yet based on the time of day when you visited last, but it only knows you've been there if you're signed in. I doubt the "first unread post" link will be there at all if you are not signed in to the forum; it won't know who you are and what you've read.

I guess I never use that "first unread post" link. I usually follow one of the "latest posts" links off the MIJC home page, or I go to the forum and click the little piece of paper icon next to the user who last posted in that topic (far right column). That takes you directly to the bottom of the topic.
Image___Image___Image___Image
. . . . . . '83 CJ-7 . . . . . . . . . . . . '89 Grand Wagoneer . . . . . . . . '78 Postal DJ-5 . . . . . . . . '99 Grand Cherokee ZJ . .
Duke Winch
Full Name: Steve Vohs
Member page: http://www.mijc.org/members/u-z/vohs-steve/

Post by Duke Winch »

wdln wrote:Ahhh, I see. It's only there the first time you visit a topic that has posts you haven't read. If you go back to that topic again it disappears because it assumes you read whatever was on the page. I just saw the first-unread link in the corner, then refreshed the page and it went away.

You would also need to be signed in before you start reading... perhaps that's what's happening? The software keeps track of what each user has and has not read yet based on the time of day when you visited last, but it only knows you've been there if you're signed in. I doubt the "first unread post" link will be there at all if you are not signed in to the forum; it won't know who you are and what you've read.

I guess I never use that "first unread post" link. I usually follow one of the "latest posts" links off the MIJC home page, or I go to the forum and click the little piece of paper icon next to the user who last posted in that topic (far right column). That takes you directly to the bottom of the topic.
I had the concept down of how it probably worked. But I hadn't check the forum for a bit and had a lot of unread posts and was signed in but had no button. It's working fine today. Must of been a hiccup.
2000 TJ, D60s, 38" TSLs, 4:1 Transfer Case, 4 link rear, 3 link front, 9" stretch, hydro steering
Duke's Off Road...Where if you don't have an engineering problem, We'll design one for you!
Duke's Off Road Ranch - Closed for winter