Forum password reset procedure

Questions, information and comments about the MIJC forum or website.
wdln
Web Admin
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: Dave Lennie
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/k-o/lennie-dave-carrie/

Forum password reset procedure

Post by wdln »

We've been having some issues with passwords on the forum lately, in particular with newer members. Please let me know if you are POSITIVE you are using the right password but you are suddenly not being let into the forum. Personally, on computers that only I have access to, I use the "log me in automatically at each visit" checkbox. Then for the most part, you don't have to worry about your password. However, there is a self-service password reset process that I just tested, and it does work, although it is a bit complicated compared to some password-reset procedures I've seen. If you're having trouble, a detailed description continues below.

First, follow this link, or click on the "Login" link in the upper right and then click "I forgot my password". At the next screen, you'll be asked for both your forum username and your registered email address. If you don't know your username, this won't work, and you'll have to contact me. For your email address, you must use the email address that you registered with, or if you changed it on the forum after you initially registered your account, the new address. Most times it will be the address you originally signed up with. If you no longer have access to that email account for some reason, or you can't remember what the address should be, this won't work and you'll have to contact me. If you get either field incorrect, the site will respond with "The e-mail/username information submitted could not be found." What you're looking for is a response that says an email was sent to you.

Once you successfully submit that info, check your email. If you don't see an email from admin@mijc.org, check your spam folder. When I tested this using a gmail accout, the password reset email ended up in my spam folder instead of my inbox. If you find it in your spam, there should be a link nearby to classify that email as "not spam" or add it to a safe address list; this procedure varies with different email providers. Anyway, in that email you'll find the following text:

Code: Select all

Hello ############

You are receiving this notification because you have (or someone pretending to be you has) requested a new password be sent for your account on "Mid-Illini Jeepers". If you did not request this notification then please ignore it, if you keep receiving it please contact the board administrator.

To use the new password you need to activate it. To do this click the link provided below.

http://www.mijc.org/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=activate&u=####&k=######

If successful you will be able to login using the following password:

Password: #############

You can of course change this password yourself via the profile page. If you have any difficulties please contact the board administrator.
It provides you a new password, but you first have to follow the link to activate that new password. The new password will not work until you click the link. Once you follow the link, you can click the "login" link in the upper right and use the password provided in the email to log in. And once you log in, you can go to the User Control Panel and change your password to something more memorable.
Image___Image___Image___Image
. . . . . . '83 CJ-7 . . . . . . . . . . . . '89 Grand Wagoneer . . . . . . . . '78 Postal DJ-5 . . . . . . . . '99 Grand Cherokee ZJ . .