Atlanta, Illinois - Route 66

Announcements and info for events and outings not on the MIJC schedule.
wdln
Web Admin
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: Dave Lennie
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/k-o/lennie-dave-carrie/

Atlanta, Illinois - Route 66

Post by wdln »

I received the email below from the Tourism Development Director for Atlanta, Illinois. I followed up and asked what date she was looking at, and she said that they can schedule an event for us anytime this summer. Any Saturday in June, July, or August is currently open. Atlanta is along I-55/Old 66, north of Lincoln, about 45 minutes from Peoria (in a vehicle capable of driving highway speeds, that is).

Perhaps something worthy of discussion in an upcoming meeting.

-------------

Good afternoon Mid-Illini Jeepers,

I am the new Tourism Development Director in Atlanta, Illinois. We are currently conducting outreach around the region to car clubs and organizations as a host for a Route 66 weekend event! We would love to have your club come to Atlanta as part of a Route 66 event. Here in Atlanta, we have 2 National Register of Historic Places locations (Atlanta Public Library-8 sided library- and JH Hawes Grain Elevator- Illinois' only standing wooden grain elevator), 23 museums (Atlanta History Museum, Memories: Route 66 Museum, Route 66 Arcade Museum), 2 gift shops, an adorable historic downtown, an iconic 19 foot tall Paul Bunyon, a Route 66 famous restaurant with circa 1930s interior (Palms Grill Café), and a free walking tour! There is so much to do and see in Atlanta, right on both the original and current Route 66 alignment.

We would love to host your club for a Day on Route 66 in Atlanta. We can also assist in planning a weekend Route 66 itinerary to maximize your time on the Mother Road! It is a nice, safe, driving event! We will also all be wearing masks and providing ample hand sanitizer.

Please let me know if you would like me to send over some sample Route 66 itineraries!

I look forward to hearing back from you,
Whitney Ortiz
Tourism Development Director for Atlanta, IL
Image___Image___Image___Image
. . . . . . '83 CJ-7 . . . . . . . . . . . . '89 Grand Wagoneer . . . . . . . . '78 Postal DJ-5 . . . . . . . . '99 Grand Cherokee ZJ . .