My move out of IL and back to MO

Post about anything you want.
W_A_Watson_II
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: Will Watson
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/u-z/watson-william/

My move out of IL and back to MO

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

OK, some of you know, while others have no clue, or even care, and that's OK. But so that those who have noticed I've been mostly off-line here is what has and is taking place.

Back in late April (just before the southern rally) we decided to meet with the Realtor and see what the market was like and if there was any reason to put our home on the market (again) and see if we could finally sell it (and my shop). Well, he showed up and rather than having a market report and prepared to give us guidance on if or how we should market the House and Shop he shows up with three families wanting to see it!

So we scramble and get the house mostly show ready and I quickly straighten up a little of the mess in the shop. We end up with only two of the families looking, one twice. I head on off to the Southern Power Wagon Rally for some fun, food and friendship. And lo and behold while there I get a call (while driving the M thru the trails) from the Realtor and he says we should expect two offer's!

So I load up and as soon as the banquette is over I head back to IL arriving home early the next morning. We then go through the negotiations and settle on one offer and a deal. The only issue is we have to be out in two months, the 29th of June! And we have no place to move the house or shop to.

We quickly start looking at options for where and what we will do for a home, and I start looking to put the shop contents and trucks someplace.

I started looking for a company who could pickup, ship and unload a loaded shipping container, hoping to load most of the stuff into 1 or 2 and have them moved to either the kids house or to the family farm. Well that turned out to be much harder than I ever expected, as most companies with Landoll Trailers are recovery operators who don't ship, or everyone wanted me to supply a crane or 40K fork lift at both ends. So for the shop I end up buying a 40' shipping container and have it delivered to the Farm in South East MO (SEMO), and then making a bunch of trips with loaded trailers taking my shop contents from IL to the family farm. I ended up filling the one 40' container and overflowing into the family shed. Oh and that didn't include any of the Trucks/Jeeps (6 vehicles).

As for the house, we plan to eventually retire to the family farm in SEMO, but that wasn't happening now. So where to go? With the youngest daughter in college at MO S&T in Rolla, we decided moving to MO and saving the huge out of state penalty was a smart move. With the desire to still see her from time to time (when she wasn't going back to IL to see her boyfriend) we decided Rolla was a great place to move back to (we lived there when we first got married 36 years ago).

So the search for a house (with high-speed internet) that hopefully had a place for me to work out on the trucks began. Unlike IL, the Rolla MO market is a sellers market and very few homes in inventory. We looked at several, made an offer on one that had potential, but pros and cons, but ended up on another when we could not reach an agreement. The home we settled on however had no shop (or the ability to add one, subdivision regulations), but a three car garage and a beautiful setting with a home that needed some updating.

With that in mind we made an offer with the understanding that the next year would be about home renovations and not truck wrenching. After some negotiations and some pre move in repairs we had a home about 4 months after the journey began. Thanks to some great friends we had a place in IL to stay and our house belongings sat on a moving truck for 40 days. We just moved in Friday, and and the renovations are starting. But we have a wonderful home with high speed Internet and I have a wonderful wife (for 36 years as of tomorrow) who has agreed to try living through a renovation.

So I should be around a little more, but sorry little to no Jeep work in my near future. I still have to get three of the trucks moved out of IL and get a location to store them, but all things considered I'm thrilled to be out of IL even if it meant giving up my shop. I built most of Franky in a three car garage and I will make due and enjoy life living back in the great state of Missouri!

Thanks for for everyone's patience and help and let me know if I can help.
Will
Thanks,
Will
1993 Jeep Wrangler (Ok yes it's a YJ)
1953 Dodge M37 (No it's not a Jeep)
1946 & 1949 Dodge Power Wagons
LarryWilson
Full Name: Larry Wilson
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/u-z/wilson-larry-jennifer/

Re: My move out of IL and back to MO

Post by LarryWilson »

I am sorry to see you leave but glad to hear that the move has made you happy. Looking at the map, it doesn't look too far from Fulton. So hopefully, we can see you when we make the trip to Potawatomi.

Please keep in touch and let us know if we can help!

Larry
TSEJEEPERS
Full Name: Tom and Sally Evans
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/e-j/tom-sally-evans/

Post by TSEJEEPERS »

Yes we will miss seeing you!
I am glad everything worked out for you!
It's hip to be square!!! []lllll[] NVRDUN9 93 YJ SOA XJ spring stretch, High pinion 9" rear Detroit locker, Dana 44 front ARB locker, 4.56 gears, Sanden OBA, Warn M8274 winch, 36" Iroks, Turtle enterprises swing out tire carrier
W_A_Watson_II

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Thanks guys, I'll still be part of the club and be around for some of the events.

If I get the M37 here I hope to make the Sullivan (~40 miles) and Fulton (~90 miles) runs still this year. I'm also only 40 miles away from Flat Nasty.
Thanks,
Will
TSEJEEPERS
Full Name: Tom and Sally Evans
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/e-j/tom-sally-evans/

Post by TSEJEEPERS »

Location, Location, Location. :lol:
It's hip to be square!!! []lllll[] NVRDUN9 93 YJ SOA XJ spring stretch, High pinion 9" rear Detroit locker, Dana 44 front ARB locker, 4.56 gears, Sanden OBA, Warn M8274 winch, 36" Iroks, Turtle enterprises swing out tire carrier
W_A_Watson_II

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

TSEJEEPERS wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:55 pm Location, Location, Location. :lol:
Indeed, in more ways than one. It's been 35 years since we lived here, we look forward to actually discovering what Rolla has to offer outside of school this time.
Thanks,
Will