POR-15 pro's & cons

Post here for all your technical questions or comments. - Jeep Only
DrDirt
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: John Bruder

POR-15 pro's & cons

Post by DrDirt »

Tell me what you think of the 'paint over rust product' POR-15. Can you purchase it locally? I have looked on the internet and this stuff costs alot more than a rattle can of black paint! I'm looking for a way to cover some rust covered panels on a Jeep tub, and am not looking forward to doing alot of sanding.
2018 Rubicon JL 2 dr, 1947 CJ2A Street Cruiser, 1983 CJ7 The Original Dr. Dirt, 1982 CJ8 Scrambler / Home - Rural Metamora, Ill [/color]/
CLBJeep
MIJC Member: No
Full Name: Clinton Biederman

Re: POR-15 pro's & cons

Post by CLBJeep »

There's a product called Chassis Saver from Magnet Paints that seems to have good reviews. Price might be about the same as POR-15 though. Looks like there are a few local distributors in the Peoria area too. Stacey David from Gearz TV used it on Ted Nugent's Bronco project. Think you can Youtube the video clip for more information on it. The most common complaint about those products is the cleanup, and not to get it in your hair :o .
97 Jeep TJ Sport
99 F-250 Super Duty
W_A_Watson_II
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: Will Watson
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/u-z/watson-william/

Re: POR-15 pro's & cons

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

It works well on rusted surfaces, however if it's clean sandblasted metal, there isn't enough roughness or something for it to adhere and stay in place. It's also not UV Stabilized and needs a top coat to protect it.
Thanks,
Will
1993 Jeep Wrangler (Ok yes it's a YJ)
1953 Dodge M37 (No it's not a Jeep)
1946 & 1949 Dodge Power Wagons