Differential Swaps

Post here for all your technical questions or comments. - Jeep Only
csmithji

Differential Swaps

Post by csmithji »

Hello,

I am new to the forum as well as owning a Jeep (91 YJ). My differential blew a few weeks ago(washer off a pin in carrier came off and pin slipped which resulted in chewed up gear teeth and one broken gear). I have been looking for a replacement differential but not a lot of luck. The stock differential was a Dana 35- 52068008 3.07 5502-1.

My question is- are there other differentials that would be a good fit as a replacement? I'm not a fabricator/weldor, so I would need something that would be pretty much a drop in replacement.

Thank you in advance for your help and knowledge!!!
TSEJEEPERS
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: Tom and Sally Evans
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/e-j/tom-sally-evans/

Re: Differential Swaps

Post by TSEJEEPERS »

Really no drop in besides ones from other YJs or a aftermarket diff.
Alot of people put 8.8 in from a Ford Explorer.
Not sure if they come stock in your gear ratio though.
It will also require some welding.
Last time I was at Darst street yard they had quite of few 8.8s already taken out of Explorers.
From what I understand the guy that owns Darst street also bought Ace and now all the cars are at Ace.
May want to give Ace a call and see what they have.
It's hip to be square!!! []lllll[] NVRDUN9 93 YJ SOA XJ spring stretch, High pinion 9" rear Detroit locker, Dana 44 front ARB locker, 4.56 gears, Sanden OBA, Warn M8274 winch, 36" Iroks, Turtle enterprises swing out tire carrier
csmithji

Post by csmithji »

Thank you for the information! I will check into Ace. A friend recommended that I check Ace as well. The easiest thing would be to get another Dana 35 to put in, but I just wonder if I should go the extra mile/extra work and look for something beefier for both the front and rear dif.

Thanks again!
TSEJEEPERS
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: Tom and Sally Evans
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/e-j/tom-sally-evans/

Post by TSEJEEPERS »

Actually the front high pinion 30 is a pretty good diff.
It can be beefed up to handle up to 35 inch tires.
It's hip to be square!!! []lllll[] NVRDUN9 93 YJ SOA XJ spring stretch, High pinion 9" rear Detroit locker, Dana 44 front ARB locker, 4.56 gears, Sanden OBA, Warn M8274 winch, 36" Iroks, Turtle enterprises swing out tire carrier