Help with differentials

Post here for all your technical questions or comments. - Jeep Only
CF1973

Help with differentials

Post by CF1973 »

I have been trying to get my gearing changed from 4.10 to 5.13 for over 6 months now. None of the shops or independents have been reliable enough to get me on their schedule. Larger better organized shops won't install parts they do not order. Does anyone have a shop, or person, they can recommend to do the gear change?

More urgently, for the Washita trip, it turns out that my rear diff has leaked partially or all the way empty. I could refill it and see if it continues to leak, but thought that having a shop look at it for gear damage and the potential leak might be a better idea. What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Brent
bollmanxj74

Re: Help with differentials

Post by bollmanxj74 »

I have used Verkler truck in Peoria in the past for gear installs. They do really good work but it can get costly if they run into problems.
mrock24
MIJC Member: No

Post by mrock24 »

Give the guys at Martin Automotive in Washington a call. They have done a few things for us on our daily drivers but never had them work on my jeep. I did inquire about a gear swap awhile back and the owner Randy said they could do it. Hope it helps. 309-745-9513. Randy is the owner and the service writers name is Todd.
CF1973

Post by CF1973 »

Thanks for the input. I have used Martin Automotive for my alignment and did get a quote from them on the gear swap. They seem like a good shop, but the problem is, I already have the gears and Martin will not install parts they don't supply and warranty. I will give Verkler a call and see if they can do an install with provided parts.
alkat
MIJC Events Coordinator
MIJC Events Coordinator
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: Al and Kat Wallace
Member page: http://www.mijc.org/members/u-z/wallace-al/

Post by alkat »

There's a guy in N. Pekin named Eric Vickery, not sure the spelling's right, and he did both my front and rear diffs. with lockers and parts supplied by me. He has a small shop and works mainly on drag cars but he will do 4x4's. His number is 309-267-7989. You can mention my name (al Wallace) but use my son in law's name with it(frank Shanklin), he knows him better. Good luck.
83 CJ- d44 F&R, Detroit locker in R, ARB in F, 4.88 gears, AMC 304 ,T18 tranny, appr.6" of lift,Warm 9.5xpwinch,Allen built custom bumpers & spare tire holder, 37x12.5 IROK radials
97 TJ-PURTY JEEP
05 Unlimited Rubicon
TSEJEEPERS
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: Tom and Sally Evans
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/e-j/tom-sally-evans/

Post by TSEJEEPERS »

Eric did my front 30, years ago.
It's hip to be square!!! []lllll[] NVRDUN9 93 YJ SOA XJ spring stretch, High pinion 9" rear Detroit locker, Dana 44 front ARB locker, 4.56 gears, Sanden OBA, Warn M8274 winch, 36" Iroks, Turtle enterprises swing out tire carrier
wizard

Post by wizard »

Do them yourself?...I am sure a lot of other here do there own...I do mine.