98 Jeep Wrangler 6-cyl Engine Loping

Post here for all your technical questions or comments. - Jeep Only
smns22

98 Jeep Wrangler 6-cyl Engine Loping

Post by smns22 »

My 98 was running great. I parked it and 10 minutes later it wouldn't start. After noticing the fuel pump wasn't getting power I had it towed. Since then, Aug 3rd, I have...
Dropped fuel tank
Checked fuel pump
Changed: Relays, Ignition coil.
At this point my uncle sprayed a lot of starter fluid in the intake against my advice. The next day I changed the Crankshaft position sensor. After that, she started right up.
That's when she started running rough and loping. She want's to die when I stop. So I replaced the Camshaft position sensor (distributor switch plate), Throttle position sensor and MAP sensor. The problem still existed so I checked (PCV) valve & distributor cap.
Cleaned air intake with carb cleaner
Changed spark plugs and reset the computer.

I don't have any of the codes it was giving. The check engine light is on once again so I will get a code later today.

My options still are
new plug wires, EGR valve, and IAC.

The exhaust is more...potent, I guess, than it use to be. Maybe a catalytic converter? It sounds like it backfires when I accelerate quickly.

I am not sure which hoses to check for leaks. Can I spray soapy water on all hoses?
I'm on a very tight budget.
Thank you for any and all help.
PS
If there is anyone close by that wants to take a look and listen because you love to work on Jeeps so much let me know HAHAHAHA
wdln
Web Admin
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: Dave Lennie
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/k-o/lennie-dave-carrie/

Re: 98 Jeep Wrangler 6-cyl Engine Loping

Post by wdln »

If anyone has any ideas on what this might be, I would appreciate it. Tracy is a friend of mine and we went several brainstorming rounds before I suggested posting here. I'm about out of ideas. One of the few things she hasn't replaced is the idle air control servo. Would a stuck or malfunctioning IAC cause these kinds of issues?
Image___Image___Image___Image
. . . . . . '83 CJ-7 . . . . . . . . . . . . '89 Grand Wagoneer . . . . . . . . '78 Postal DJ-5 . . . . . . . . '99 Grand Cherokee ZJ . .
vlucdog
Full Name: Bill Gangloff
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/e-j/bill-vicki-gangloff/

Post by vlucdog »

When you said the fuel pump was ok, did you check the fuel pressure? Or have it checked.
Also, the crank position sensor. I recently changed the one in my 05 Rubicon, my research showed the aftermarket ( Auto zone , O'Reilly's , ECT. To not be up to the task , I used a OEM part without a problem.
Bill
83- cj7, 80-cj5, 77 cj5 for parts
alkat
MIJC Events Coordinator
MIJC Events Coordinator
Full Name: Al and Kat Wallace
Member page: http://www.mijc.org/members/u-z/wallace-al/

Post by alkat »

What bill said, check fuel pressure. Kats 97 tj has had 2 fuel pump regulaters that would pump enough to run but it wasn't running right. The problems on hers showed up more when the tank was low, below half, and when the motor was cold. Both times a new fuel pump regulater assembly solved the problem. Hers would kinda surge at low speed, city driving, and die at stop signs.
83 CJ- d44 F&R, Detroit locker in R, ARB in F, 4.88 gears, AMC 304 ,T18 tranny, appr.6" of lift,Warm 9.5xpwinch,Allen built custom bumpers & spare tire holder, 37x12.5 IROK radials
97 TJ-PURTY JEEP
05 Unlimited Rubicon
Duke Winch
Full Name: Steve Vohs
Member page: http://www.mijc.org/members/u-z/vohs-steve/

Post by Duke Winch »

wdln wrote:If anyone has any ideas on what this might be, I would appreciate it. Tracy is a friend of mine and we went several brainstorming rounds before I suggested posting here. I'm about out of ideas. One of the few things she hasn't replaced is the idle air control servo. Would a stuck or malfunctioning IAC cause these kinds of issues?
The idle air control adjusts the idle speed from zero to about 2800 RPM. If it was set too low the engine would not start unless your standing on the throttle and then it would be tough at best. I don't see how loping could be caused by it unless it's setting is moving up and down and I'm not sure how that would be possible.

Duke
2000 TJ, D60s, 38" TSLs, 4:1 Transfer Case, 4 link rear, 3 link front, 9" stretch, hydro steering
Duke's Off Road...Where if you don't have an engineering problem, We'll design one for you!
Duke's Off Road Ranch - Closed for winter
nick_mur

Post by nick_mur »

Hey smns22,

Did you solve your problem? If so can you tell what was causing it? I've picked up a 98 TJ and its doing the same thing. Trying to figure out what to tackle first.

Thanks.

Nick