Jeep CJ Front Axle help

Post here for all your technical questions or comments. - Jeep Only
millesa1

Jeep CJ Front Axle help

Post by millesa1 »

I've got a restored 77 CJ-7. I put a 9" in the rear from an early bronco. I'm looking for something g different to put in the front that will match or come close to the width of the 9" (54" WMS to WMS).

I'm thinking the widetrack Dana 30. I believe it's 52" wide.
Any thoughts?
Anybody know where I can get either a wide track or whatever else you all suggest?

I'm running 35" tires with 4.56 gears.
Pertneer

Re: Jeep CJ Front Axle help

Post by Pertneer »

Scout dana 44 from a 1978 is what I put in my Jeep, I also have a Ford 9".
millesa1

Post by millesa1 »

That a direct bolt in? Or does anything need to change?
millesa1

Post by millesa1 »

I understand the spring perches need to move. Any other mods needed?
Pertneer

Post by Pertneer »

You need to rotate the outer c's. The caster is incorrect between the scout and the Jeep
millesa1

Post by millesa1 »

Can you please explain what you mean by rotate the C's?

I really appreciate your help.
alkat
MIJC Events Coordinator
MIJC Events Coordinator
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: Al and Kat Wallace
Member page: http://www.mijc.org/members/u-z/wallace-al/

Post by alkat »

I see in the wanted section you've already got a scout front end, I was going to say that a 70's wagoner front axle works a little better. You will have to outboard your springs on either one but the wagoners caster angle works so you don't have to rotate the c's. I will say that since you have to outboard the springs anyway you might as well do it with a reverse shackle design. Good luck, hope you get it all together without any problems. I'll try to watch this thread if you have any problems post up, I'm sure we can figure out what needs to be done. I've received a ton of help from this forum
83 CJ- d44 F&R, Detroit locker in R, ARB in F, 4.88 gears, AMC 304 ,T18 tranny, appr.6" of lift,Warm 9.5xpwinch,Allen built custom bumpers & spare tire holder, 37x12.5 IROK radials
97 TJ-PURTY JEEP
05 Unlimited Rubicon
alkat
MIJC Events Coordinator
MIJC Events Coordinator

Post by alkat »

In answer to your question about rotating the c's, you'll need to cut the c's loose, the part of the axle that the steering yokes connect to, rotate them to the correct caster angle and reweld them.
83 CJ- d44 F&R, Detroit locker in R, ARB in F, 4.88 gears, AMC 304 ,T18 tranny, appr.6" of lift,Warm 9.5xpwinch,Allen built custom bumpers & spare tire holder, 37x12.5 IROK radials
97 TJ-PURTY JEEP
05 Unlimited Rubicon
Pertneer

Post by Pertneer »

alkat wrote:In answer to your question about rotating the c's, you'll need to cut the c's loose, the part of the axle that the steering yokes connect to, rotate them to the correct caster angle and reweld them.
What he said.
wizard

Post by wizard »

While rotating your inner-C's...don't forget to set you pinion angle....The overall process really isn't a big deal. I did the same thing on mine. (finally got it correct)...first time I over corrected. If you do a reverse shackle set-up, you may have to change springs, I was looking at doing the same..but didn't work out.

max
millesa1

Post by millesa1 »

Is there someone that could help me with this that is in the Pekin / Peoria area when the time is right?

Thank you
alkat
MIJC Events Coordinator
MIJC Events Coordinator

Post by alkat »

What are you looking for in help, I'd be willing to show you how I outboarded my springs and reversed the shackles but most of the work is in fab time that you can do a little bit at a time when you have time to work on it. What do you have for tools, you'll need a garage shop with a bench to work on, a welder, cutting torch would be nice but band saw, sawzall, cutoff wheels on your grinder can all do about the same, sturdy saw horses to set the axle up on are just about a must. As you can see what you're doing is not a weekend job, I took about a mounth to do mine and I didn't have to rotate the cees and had a complete fab shop to use. I no longer have that shop at my disposal but still do a lot in the garage, it just takes longer. People will help but it is your jeep so most of the work can and should be done by you, that way it's done the way you want it. There's a club meeting at goodfellas today at noon. That would be a real good time to discuss how you want to proceed.
97 TJ-PURTY JEEP
05 Unlimited Rubicon
millesa1

Post by millesa1 »

I'm not looking for free labor.
I'm just looking for some help in the knowledge department.