Dana 30 axle stub/shaft removal...

Post here for all your technical questions or comments. - Jeep Only
XJDRIVER

Dana 30 axle stub/shaft removal...

Post by XJDRIVER »

Anyone/everyone that has disassembled a dana30 front axle...(this may be hard to explain bear with me)..to remove the outter axle stub and/or axle shaft assembly as a whole (one side of course) does the knuckle have to be removed from the axle housing to do it? Or can you simply remove the brake assm. and bearing assm. and simply pull the axle shaft through the hole in the knuckle to remove it?

The reason I ask...my right side axle u-joint has some slop in it..needs to be replaced...don't want to have to replace/remove ball joints if at all possible. :(
Cjeeper86

Post by Cjeeper86 »

to answere your question No you dont have to remove the knuckle. just EVERYTHING attached to it other than the steering linkage.

you will need the big 2 3/32nds socket to remove the 2 spindle nuts i have one you can borrow. i had one heckuva time trying to get my spindle off i had to beat it with a hammer and a chunk of 2x4 to get it to break free from the knuckle.

will you be at the meeting? if so i will bring the socket with me.

Jake

Edit this socket it 3/4 inch drive.
dbarr

Post by dbarr »

Correction. Remove brake calipers and rotors. Unbolt hub from back side ( 3 bolts-13mm ) remove hub and axle shaft as a unit. Replace u-joint.
XJDRIVER

Post by XJDRIVER »

Thanks for the input...No I don't need the socket..someone is doing the work for me. I had someone trying to tell me that the knuckle had to come off to do this operation costing me way more $$ in labor. Its great to know that somebody actually knows what they're doing with out having to look in a book! Thanks a million! :D
Cjeeper86

Post by Cjeeper86 »

it helps to have the books laying around when your doing it that way you can remember how every thing goes back togeather
Fraser
MIJC Treasurer
MIJC Treasurer
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: Fraser Yarker
Member page: http://mijc.org/members/u-z/yarker-fraser/

Post by Fraser »

yes, just don't use the CJ book when you're working on a XJ.
1998 TJ (Wrangler) - usually driveable
19xx J-truck
Parts